FONT



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Spread the Awareness.....

October is Spina Bifida Awareness month. Spina Bifida was once a term that I was clueless about. But today it is a common term used in our family vocabulary along with cathing, neurogenic bladder, hydrocephalus. Even my 4 year old I heard explaining it do her cousin (YES I CRIED). I want to be able to spread the word because when I found about Tyson's diagnosis I felt completely alone. Then I slowly met families and now I have a huge network of AMAZING families who lessen the pain and make this journey easier.

More than 166,000 people in the US live with Spina Bifida.

What can you do? You can reduce your chance by up to 70% by taking folic acid 3 months prior to pregnancy. In fact I think that any child bearing women should take it everyday just in case. It can't hurt. (side-note) Most people I know who have had babies with spina bifida did take folic acid. Take it before becoming pregnant because this defect occurs in the first 21 days of pregnancy. Also try to avoid hot bath's your first few months before anticipating pregnancy. Raising your body temperature can also cause this. The truth is I have been apart of several research studies and know one really know what causes Spina Bifida. There are a few "ideas" here and there. I mean seriously last summer I had a phone call and they wanted to know what cereal I ate my first month of pregnancy and how many times I ate meat. WHAT THE HECK? I think we are just lucky to care for such a special child and to have met a amazing network of people and witness miracles. If you have not read Tyson's Story. check it out! Forgive for the grammar errors. I swear editing it is on my to-do list.
This is the patch when he was born.


THE SCAR...... We both have battle wombs, Because we did it together.


Where miracles happen.


Cute love bug.



I love this picture but so glad we don't have these awful glasses. They are adorable but PURE TORTURE.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Thanks for such a great post! You are such an amazing mom and I love reading your story!